We are back again with Mumma’s Little Kitchen Helpers! 😍
The boys love helping in the kitchen and this time we have my 3 ingredient shortbread, with 3 secret little twists! 👩🏽🍳
- 3 traditional ingredients
- 250 g butter, softened
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 3 cups plain flour
Twist Ingredients (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon backing powder
- 1-2 tablespoons water
- 100 and 1000’s
- Smarties or M&Ms
- Step 1 - Set oven to 180°C. Line baking trays with backing paper or lightly grease.
- Step 2 - Use an electric beater to beat the butter and sugar in a bowl until pale and creamy.
- Step 3 – Beating at low speed add the flour ½ a cup at a time, mixing well after each addition until the mixture turns to dough.
- Step 4 – Start to bring the dough together with your hands either in the bowl or on lightly floured bench top.
- Step 5 – Option to add the 100 and 1000’s at this point into the dough mixture. (We like doing this as the 100 and 1000’s battle to stick on after rolling. We also halve the dough at this point and keep the other half plain for M&M’s)
- Step 6 – Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and pop it into the fridge for at least 20 minutes. Take half at a time to roll out, whilst the rest stays cool in the fridge.
- Step7 – Either roll the dough until it’s approximately 5mm thick and use cutter to shape the biscuits (sometimes this can be difficult when little people are helping as the dough is very crumbly). Alternative is to form little balls or snakes then place onto the prepared baking trays and press down until 5-10mm thick.
- Step 8 – Option to decorate with Smarties or M&Ms by pressing them into the dough before baking.
- Step 9 – Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are just beginning to turn golden.
- Step 10 - Carefully remove the shortbread from the oven and allow to cool on the baking trays for 15 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.