Mumma’s Dairy & Sugar Free Banana and Date Spiced Loaf / Muffins Recipe
Mumma and her little helpers have been busy in the kitchen again. I always have overripe bananas that the boys don’t want to eat, so I’m constantly thinking of how-to mix-up the ordinary banana bread. This recipe has a spicy twist and is sugar and dairy free, using only fruit to sweeten. It is super simple and easy as all the mixing is done in the food processor. The baked texture is not particularly crumbly, making them ideal for baby-led weaning with less mess. Toddlers and big kids will love them too.
• 10 dates, pitted
• 125ml (½ cup) boiling water
• 80ml (⅓ cup) vegetable oil
• 2 eggs
• 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
• 375g (1½ cups) (around 3 large/4medium small) ripe bananas
• 250g (2 cups) all-purpose flour or wholemeal flour
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon ground mixed spice
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• Step 1 - Preheat oven to 160ºC and grease a loaf or muffin pan.
• Step 2 - Chop the dates, place in a bowl, and pour the boiling water over. Set aside for 10 minutes to soften.
• Step 3 - Add Bananas and softened dates to a food processor and blend until smooth.
• Step 4 - Add the remaining wet ingredients – oil, eggs and vanilla to the date and banana mixture in the food processor and blend until smooth again.
• Step 5 - Add the dry ingredients - flour, baking soda, cinnamon and mixed spice to the wet ingredients in the food processor and blend until smooth again. Be careful not to overmix.
• Step 6 - Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 55 - 60 minutes. If you are using a muffin pan bake for 25-30minutes. Check if ready by inserting a skewer or toothpick into the centre. If the stick comes out clean, or with a few crumbles on it, the bread is done.
• Step 7 - Carefully remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.